Sunday, May 3, 2009

I love basketball!

I love to play basketball. I love to watch games live and on tv. I love to watch my kids practices and games. I love to play with them - as long as I can beat them. I even love to teach other kids to play and have patience to explain the game to "beginners" (even adults). So I think it is fair to say I love basketball!

I am also a fortunate man; I have a family that shares - at least partly - my love to basketball.

Due to minor medical reason, I am not able to play myself at the moment but I was today able to convince my family to drive with me 1.5 hours to Den Bosch in Holland - to watch a basketball game.

The game was the first semifinal of Dutch basketball league between Eiffel Towers from Den Bosch and Hanzevast Capitals from Groeningen http://www.hanzevastcapitals.nl/
Why there, don´t they play ball also in Belgium?

Yes they do, but not in Brussels for the past few years after BRU team ran out of money... We have been in local league games and national team games in quite many locations and it was actually quite nice to drive to a new city, walk around the centre, have lunch, check out some shops (yes, shops were open in Holland since it is the first Sunday of month) and then head up to the arena.

The best buy was 1/2 kilo of licorise, just like filled Panda one you can get in Finland!

I was told earlier that you can do in Den Bosch - or formally ’s-Hertogenbosch - nice boat trips in the canals. You rent a boat, steer it yourself and get around at your own pace. You can of course take some snacks on board and enjoy hopefully good weather. Dutch way for such snacks should be cheese, salami and beer :o)
I have done the boating once in Leiden, where it was excellent fun combining a tour at the lake and city canals. There you have many terraces that you can stop by...

Back to b-ball;

The level of the game is pretty good compared to other European bigger countries. Of course high number of non-local players increase the level, but teams are professional and arena at least in Den Bosch was quite good. Like you can imagine, there were not that many people in the audience but the small number of people were fairly loud.

Some court side arrangements were not working as you could expect in pro sports but all and all it was again a pleasent experience.
Except;
- We didn't have a chance to chat with the guy who was the key reason for us going to that particular game.

- "Our" team lost, but it is best out of 5 games so they still have time.

Someone might be interested in ticket prices: Adults 12,50 Euros and kids under 15 yrs 5 Euros. During the regular season prices are a bit lower.

PS Many thanks S for arranging the access!

No comments: