Saturday, October 31, 2009

The blues of the week

Firstly, apoligies for being so silent again. Projects at work are keeping me busy during the days (and last night) and family activities during the evenings. Still, I am happy!
======
On Monday morning it wasn't raining, but still my har & shoulders got wet during 30 meter walk from the car to the office.

It was not foggy, but still everything above the ground was gray. Even the black asfalt had turned into gray. Also white rooftops and trucks that I see from the office window were gray.

Normally I can also see the planes at Helsinki Airport taking off & landing, but then it was all gray wall where now & then blinked the winglights of the planes in taxi. Monday blues...

Luckily I enjoyed the job!

Last Sunday we turned the clocks 1 hour backwards but honestly, in addition to Sunday morning I find it hard to come up with any positives with it. For us the mornings are (for a short while) slightly brighter, but what good does it make around 9 am while the local habit is to start the office day around 8 am - and finish earlier then colleagues in central or southern Europe.

I don't find it either a plus that the sun says "see you tomorrow - perhaps" already around 4 pm (today the sun goes down at 16:26 - and in Lapland already 15:14...). That means it will be spring when I next time leave the office at daylight.


The positive thing is that it was fairly ok to get up already 6:15 am to to the the gym, but since I did it 3 times this week it is not a surprise I was not able to sleep this morning after about 6:30. That is not the best thing if you have gone to bed at 1 am, but sleeping is anyway a waste of time.

When you combine these dark moods with the Finnish mentality of "I'm not gonna ask for help", add the Finnish drinking habits and remember that while not drunk we have the 2nd highest coffee consumption in the world, it is no wonder we get to read too often about suicides and other violent stories form the papers.

This calls for some Eppu Normaali and a song about the melancolic Finns:
Tuhansien Murheellisten Laulujen Maa

Unfortunately it is only in Finnish, but you can get a translation from here. I recommend to read it, helps to understand us a bit better ;o)

Hölökynkölökyn!

No comments: