Saturday, March 14, 2009

To set set the scene, you should know that I take it as a privilege to have a right to vote. And I will do vote when ever there is a chance, since I think I have an opinion - and you might have noticed it by now on this site ;o)

I received some weeks ago a card from the commune that I understood to say I am entitled to vote in European Parliament election in June 2009 in Belgium. To do that, I would need to register in my commune called Etterbeek (one of about 13 in Brussels area, an issue it self...). Being a non-French speaking creature, I was of course happy to receive this note that was only in French. Luckily we have an assistant who should get a medal for her extra efforts - many thanks Nath for this and others (not to mention about info about voting in BE...)!!!

I have received similar cards earlier and I have deliberately destroyed all of them; They proposed me to vote, and if I would do it I would be obliged to vote in Belgium elections. Not allowed, but obliged. From now onwards in every election, hoping that if I move out from the country I´d be excused...

What if I register but don´t want to or can´t vote in that particular voting date?
Well, you I would get a fine. Sorry, not sure about the amount but enough to be painful I´ve been told.

The only acceptable reasons to miss voting could be if you are dead, so ill that you can´t move or you are giving birth that date, (still you need to get doctor´s certificate). If you are for example so old you are not able to move any more you are still expected to find a "deputy" for yourself. Yep, a person who´s supposed to put in the vote for you.

Hmmmm, how would you be able to secure that your deputy would vote according to your wish or demand?
No.

If you still decide to register to vote, it´s not the easiest thing at the market. The time window when you are able to vote depends on your commune in Belgium you live in. For example in a commune of colleague´s parents, they can vote only between (max times my colleague remembered) 0830 - 1100. And there is no pre-voting like I´d say modern countries do have.

What about then the country I´m coming from - Finland?
According to Wikipedia, Finland was the first country in Europe and 3rd in the world to give women a right to vote in election, and apparently in the frontier to let women to be selected as members of parliament at 1906.
----
Suomalais-linkki Belgian äänestämisen kauneudesta;
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_vaalit

Tiesitkö muuten, että Euroopan maista Sveitsi antoi naisille äänioikeuden vasta vuonna 1971 ja Liechtenstein, viimeisenä Euroopassa, vuonna 1984. Joissain Sveitsin kantoneissa naisten äänioikeus oli evätty 1990-luvun alkuun asti. (Lähde: Wikipedia)

No comments: