Sunday, November 16, 2008

Who loves to fly?

I don’t know about rest of you but since I am somewhat European Union standard size (195 cm / 6.4 ft, >100 kg / 220 pounds), I would like to meet the guys who have designed the airplane toilets. I realize it’s impossible to design something that would fit all people and have effective use of space (to maximize passenger capacity), but I hate them. The seat is below my knee level, I need to bend my head heavily while entering and always hit myself in some corner.

When you have done your best to leave a tidy seat behind, you face the British water tab syndrome: separate button for hot and cold water: to get proper warmth you would need both hands to push both at the same time. If you manage to do it, it doesn’t help since water comes only as long as you push it. That means you wash one hand at the time with hot or cold water, using another to press the button. Either it is stupid engineering or a smart way to save water – at the risk of dirty hands.

What about bus toilets then?
I think it is quite safe to go into a toilet in a bus; there is no risk of being thrown up & down in bumps and curves since there is simply no space left to move. I just need to ask someone to push the door behind me so it closes. But the place stays cleaner since over-weight people have no chance to go in.

Then the seats on planes;
When flying within Europe, no matter what airline or whether you fly business, economy, eco+, b-flex, cattle-class or what ever you have nowadays, you can not be sure to have decent leg space. Once I flew with Iberia to Madrid at economy having leg space to dance. On the way back, again Iberia & economy, I squeezed myself to the back of the seat and still my knees were pushing the seat in front of me. Just guess how I feel about cross-continent flights in economy when sleeping in the planes is not my thing.

By the way, have you noticed what American baseball cap producers have figured out? Since they have in US quite many over-sized XXXXL people and smart lawyers, they changed the inside text of baseball caps from “One size fits all” into “One size fits most”.





With airplanes my favorite is still the catering.
Unless you regularly use certain airlines and same routes, the fact is that you can not any more know what catering to expect and if you need to reserve money for it or not. And if you fly to Scandinavia, which currency should you have… Sometimes you get a warm meal with all drinks included, next airline could offer food, soft drinks, wine & beer but charge for liquors, another offers you a dry bread and charges for all drinks etc.

This week I had a typical example of bad planning; the stewardess gives me a breakfast box with the drinks I prefer, offering also a warmed bread roll. What do I find from the box then? With a small fruit salad there is a dry cheese bread to accompany the one I just got from the lady. I must say I’m a bit concerned about the limited options I have if I decide to go for carbon hydrate free diet. I might need to for self-catering and pack a snack box like the kids do for the school.

No comments: