Sunday, November 30, 2008

I have given up with the Airport security check

In the past years the airport security system has developed a lot, but not necessarily always to smart direction. At some level I have given up with them. Let’s take as an example the toilet bag: You are requested to put all liquids in a transparent plastic bag and separately take it through the machine. I never do it. I have shaving gel, after shave, toothpaste & lotion in my toilet bag which I keep in the bag. Only once in about 50 flights within Europe I have been asked to show what I have there, and even then the concern was if shaving cream metal can was one of the non-approved sprays…

Then the belt-problem; I hate to take my belt off and then put it back when there’s a queue behind and no space to keep your stuff. I keep it on unless they separately ask me to take it off and in most cases the metal detector beeps and I’m searched. But then again it beeps too often even without the belt… I don’t either get why one day one pair of shoes I have cause an alert in BRU, but next week same pair doesn’t.

One funny thing happened last week – sexism I’d say. I went through security in Stockholm, machine beeped and then this security man went through my body grabbing all over. Behind me comes a woman, machine beeps and the same man searches her but with a small metal detector only. I know rules say a man can’t search a woman but question is why wasn’t the metal detector enough to search me?

Then the laptops; nowadays they demand you to take the laptop out from the bag and put it separately just like the liquids. They even open the cover to see if there is something in between, leaving of course finger prints all over the screen. But not at all airports. In Sofia, Bulgaria I didn’t need to take it out at all.

I think I’ll leave the stupid arrangements for pre and after metal detector for next time. Then I have something positive to say about Belgium!

No comments: